Monday, June 13, 2011

examination jitters

Upon reflection on my teaching during the first semester, I have come to the realisation that more careful and deliberate planning needs to go into my teaching. Hence, I have begun doing very careful thinking and planning based on some of the theories I have learnt (particularly from the Language Curriculum Design course) and the past four months of experience.

  • I only have another 10 weeks of teaching with my Form 3 class before they sit for the PMR examinations!!! Omigosh!!! How do I teach them how to write speeches, note expansion etc when they don't understand the vocabulary used? Is it possible to teach all the words in 10 weeks? Is it possible to narrow down what kind of words will be used? Is it possible to teach such things when one student today pronounced 'comes' as 'co/mes', and many aren't sure what 'kumbang' is in English?
  • I examined the PMR exam paper and concluded that I may not be able to help much with Paper 1 as much of it requires understanding of the vocabulary. They can just shut their eyes and circle any answer since it's a multiple-choice question paper, I suppose. But, I will need to teach the question words and make sure they know what those words mean. As for Paper 2, I need to start writing short paragraphs for literature question, in very simple English, and get them to memorise them. What about note expansion for guided writing? Would it work if I took all the past year questions, taught the meaning of those words and then guide them in turning them into sentences? Omigosh!!! 
The bottomline is: AAAAAAARGHHHHH!!! I'm freaking out!!! ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment